History of the StationOur FoodConcerts & TheatreSpecial EventsCritics & AwardsMeet Our Owner & StaffChef's CornerContact UsCork And Bottle Find us on Facebook

If you need a reason to visit historic Sykesville, Baldwin's Station can offer you more than a few. Housed in the town's original railroad station, the restaurant has been the recipient of numerous awards and favorable press since its creation by owner Stewart Dearie in August 1997. Baldwin's delivers outstanding entrees, superb service, and delightful desserts. The highly regarded menu consisting of freshwater fish, Black Angus beef and New American cuisine is prepared and delivered with a flare all their own.

However, the food at Baldwin's Station is just one aspect of the charm. "Sykesville may be a small town, but it's not a sleepy one" says Mayor Jonathan Herman. The historic, shop filled main street is as pretty as you're likely to find. The 1883 railroad station is the town's most important structure and is the anchor to its revitalization. Lovingly restored by the town of Sykesville and a grant from the Maryland Historic Trust, named after the renowned architect who designed it, Baldwin's Station is listed in The National Register of Historic Places. The architect's sense of humor is apparent in the depot's chimneys, which are a brick version of an 1880's locomotive; a charming little joke atop a Queen Anne style building. With original jewel-toned stained glass windows, wrap-around deck, exposed brick, 20-foot ceilings and Victorian appointments, the station is delightful both inside and out.

Baldwin's is located on The Old Main Line, the oldest railway in the country. Even adults transform into excited children when the whistle blows and the train rumbles by. Overlooking the beautiful Patapsco River, straddling the Howard and Carroll County lines, one is hard-pressed to find a more perfect location to enjoy a repast any time of day.

Dearie's ingenious and creative approach to the restaurant industry has turned Baldwin's into much more than a one-of-a-kind destination providing exceptional food and outstanding service. He features live concerts of nationally known jazz, folk, and bluegrass artists. He is able to blend the visual, the audible and the edible and continues to win new fans with the Station's antique setting, contemporary cuisine, and fascinating entertainment.


Upon the death of William Patterson, a wealthy Baltimore shipbuilder in 1824, his son George became the owner of the 3,000 acre Springfield Estate his father had originally occupied. In 1825, George Patterson sold 1000 acres of the Springfield Estate to a business associate, James Sykes of Baltimore, the man for whom Sykesville is named. One tract of land on the Howard County side of the Patapsco River contained an old combination saw and grist mill. Sykes soon replaced it with a newer and stronger building and in 1830 constructed a five story stone hotel, consisting of 47 rooms, to take care of railroad personnel and the tourist trade from Baltimore. The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad extended its "Old Main Line" through "Horse Train Stop" in 1831. Other businesses joined Sykes's mill and hotel on the south side of the Patapsco River. Buildings included two general merchandising stores, other mills, churches, and a post office. Sykesville was a thriving commercial center and tourist resort. In 1845 Sykes enlarged his mill into "The Howard Cotton Factory", which operated until the depression of 1857.

During the Civil War, the Town was divided and young men fought on both sides of the conflict. On June 29th 1863 a detachment of the Confederate Calvary under J.E.B. Stuart arrived in Sykesville. They tore up railroad tracks, burned the bridge over the Patapsco and destroyed telegraph lines. Recovery was slow, but with the steady stream of B & O traffic, the town was rebuilt on the Carroll County side of the Patapsco River and became incorporated in 1904 as Edwin M. Mellor Sr. as the first Mayor. The Sykesville Herald was established as the town's first newspaper in 1913 and it was at this time, The Town was split into "Wet" and "Dry" Factions due to the Prohibition Movement. The depression of 1929 hit the town hard and many families' farms had to be sold. Sykesville was among the first places in the State to repeal Prohibition in 1933. Fire destroyed the town's main business block in 1937; however, the coming of World War II lifted the Town out of the depression.

Today, Sykesville is enjoying a renaissance and is preserving its rich and historic past while revitalizing the main street community, including Baldwin's Station.

Back to top